Saturday, August 24, 2013

My Green Smoothie-


I had been making fruit smoothies for weeks and they were quickly taking the place of my beloved milkshakes.  Milkshakes and I go way back to my mother making them in the kitchen when I was 5.  We were the only family I knew with a honest to goodness Malt Shop mixer in our kitchen (see photo).  This machine never went in the closet and was used every day.  I still have it but now use an Oster Blender for my new 'milkshakes'.

Because cow's milk is off my diet list now below is the recipe for my green smoothie.  The green is Kale.  I like Kale in salads but this is an easy, quick way to get my kale daily with very little effort.  Kale is a great bone builder so start with a handful in your smoothie and work your way to a cup a day.  Don't worry - this smoothie tastes great!!

1 cup almond milk
1/4 frozen blueberries
1/4 cup frozen strawberries or raspberries, or try your fav fruit
1 banana
1 cup washed kale
(If you like more fruit go ahead but you might have to increase the almond milk for the consistency you like!)

Blend until all ingredients make a smooth milkshake-like drink.
ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. This looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris.... I just made your smoothie recipe... mine was more blue than green... I guess more blueberries and less kale. Phil and I really like it! I am sure it will become a regular with us. THANKS!!!

      Delete
    2. Fun! Blue smoothies are good too!

      Delete

statcounter